I saw this over at Destiny’s page (@ Howling Libraries) and this adorable 2020 readathon is hosted by The Quiet Pond – the aim is to read all the unread books on your shelves! The readathon is tied to a really cute story about Castor the sloth (see his portrait below!) looking for stars to put on his star map, and with every book you read you’ll give him a star. There are three types of stars: yellow (finishing an unread book as part of #StartOnYourShelfathon), blue (for finishing a personal readathon goal) and red (for finishing an unread book that’s become a new favourite). Check out The Quiet Pond’s post on this for more details and readathon resources.
I’m really excited to join this as reading all my unread books is one of my 2020 resolutions (hopefully leading to streamlining my overstuffed shelves a bit), and #StartOnYourShelfathon will give me great motivation.
I’ve picked this style of star map (designed by The Quiet Pond), and for my star collector’s name I’m going to go with one of the characters from my sci-fi WIP, Rahaena. She’s a space pilot, so I’m pretty sure she’d enjoy a star map!
I’m a little late in joining this (it opened on Dec 13th 2019, but you can join up until Dec 31st 2020!) but I’ve already started on my first book (‘Nevernight’ by Jay Kristoff) for #StartOnYourShelfathon! I’m going to set a personal readathon goal of 40 unread books, and I’ll only count the physical ones as those are the ones that really bother me while they languish on my shelves. I split my time between Hong Kong and the United Kingdom (and I have unread books in both places 😂) and hopefully I can read enough from each to make 40 at least!
Some unread books in Hong Kong…
- ‘The Underground Railroad’ by Colson Whitehead
- ‘Rebel’ by Marie Lu
- ‘The Tyrant’s Tomb’ by Rick Riordan
- ‘Beyond a Darkened Shore’ by Jessica Leake
- ‘The Crowfield Curse’ by Pat Walsh
- ‘The Hate U Give’ by Angie Thomas
- ‘Children of Blood and Bone’ by Tomi Adeyemi
- ‘Pax’ by Sara Pennypacker
Some unread books in the UK…
- ‘Solitaire’ and ‘Radio Silence’ by Alice Oseman
- ‘Aurora Rising’ by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- ‘A Thousand Ships’ by Natalie Haynes
- ‘Daisy Jones & The Six’ by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- ‘Fangirl’ by Rainbow Rowell
- ‘Dracula’ by Bram Stoker
- ‘Girls of Storm and Shadow’ by Natasha Ngan
- ‘The Deathless Girls’ by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
Current star map:
- ‘Nevernight’ by Jay Kristoff (yellow star) – my review
- ‘Pax’ by Sara Pennypacker (yellow star) – my review
- ‘The Tyrant’s Tomb’ by Rick Riordan (yellow star) – my review
- ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ by J.K. Rowling, illust. Jim Kay (yellow star) – my review
- ‘Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets’ by J.K. Rowling, illust. Jim Kay (yellow star) – my review
- ‘Heartstopper’ Vol. 3 by Alice Oseman (red star)
- ‘The Knife of Never Letting Go’ by Patrick Ness (red star)
- ‘One of Us is Lying’ by Karen McManus (yellow star)