Hello again!! How’s your week been going so far? I’ve been ridiculously busy and super tired as we’ve finally started physically moving things to our next house. I’ve just packed all my books into boxes (good thing that all my current reads are in ebook/audiobook format!) and today I’ve got my second COVID vaccination. So…busy busy busy.
Today I wanted to share a DTIYS I recently painted, inspired by the song ‘Interlude: Set Me Free’ by Agust D and ‘Interlude: Shadow’ (solo song performed by SUGA)!
(Agust D and SUGA are different stage names for the music artist Min Yoongi, so really they’re all the same person.)
Basically a DTIYS (‘Draw This In Your Style’) is a challenge set by the host artist, where you redraw/paint one of their artworks however you like – they might set rules/features you’d like to keep but you’re usually quite free to interpret things in your own way!
This is the original concept below:
@_.chaekim._ is one of my favourite artists recently so I was super excited to do this DTIYS! I had to hold off for ages because I needed to finish my pieces for the Grishaverse Big Bang event (should be posting on the 6th Sep!) and birthday drawings for Jungkook (1 Sep) and RM (12 Sep), hahaha.
Here are some of the different stages – sketch, lineart, flat colours and fully rendered:
Read on if you want to hear the thought process behind each part of the painting…
- ‘Interlude: Set Me Free’ makes me feel like I should be lying down/floating…perhaps that’s how I got to the water?
- There are these lyrics from ‘Set Me Free’ (doolset lyrics translation):
“One day, I crawl on the floor
On another day, I fly high in the sky”
- Here with the water/moon/reflection it made me think about Yoongi’s both down in the water and high up in the sky at the same time – and I remembered similar low/high imagery in ‘Interlude: Shadow’ (MV translation):
“The moment I face myself brought lowest
It so happens that I’m flying the highest”
- So then I wanted to do outfits to link them, and the ‘Interlude: Shadow’ MV had almost the exact pose that I wanted a reference for! (Some things can’t be planned.)
- I was also inspired by how @averyota uses boxes in their art to show different angles.
- And finally, I added stars to his eye because BTS and stars are inextricably linked in my head